Autumn Newsletter



100% DESIGN LONDON

100% Design returned to Earls Court London this September showcasing contemporary designs for building and interiors. There was a rich mix of new and established companies with plenty of room to showcase up and coming talent in Designersblock. There was also fun for kids making sock puppets with designers organized by (Re)design using sustainable technologies to educate about design and the environment. The Design Your House team particularly coveted light fittings from Within4Walls eclectic collection and Turnstyle Designs latest ironmongery designs. We finally got to see one of our advertiser's, ATA Designs, wonderful interior and surface design products.





NEW EUROPEAN UNION DIRECTIVE

In a package of measure the EU aims to significantly reduce the consumption of energy by electrical devices and has issued a new directive which will affect future choices in lighting design. The primary objective is the protection of the environment by reducing CO2 emissions and although there has been some consumer backlash to the withdrawal from sale of the traditional high energy light bulb from 1st September 2009, it should be noted that only 5% of the energy consumption of these bulbs is used to generate light, the remaining 95% is converted to heat. Instead it should be seen as a benefit to consumers’ pockets as the potential saving of using energy efficient lighting is great, less energy will mean monetary savings.

THE NATIONAL HOME IMPROVEMENT SHOW

The National Home Improvement Show, in association with Real Homes Magazine, was at Earls Court London on 2nd to 4th October. The focus of the show concentrated on products and services for the renovation and refurbishment market, giving all DIY enthusiasts the opportunity to learn more about the projects they are about to embark on through live demonstrations and lectures. We met new and familiar companies with some new additions to our website - Go Green Lighting has an extensive range of LED lights and Polypipe has the most versatile underfloor heating system for new and retro build applications.

IMPORTANT NEWS FROM THE PLANNING PORTAL

The Planning Portal clarifies the latest changes to extend the time for existing Planning Permissions, very helpful for homeowners who have not been able to construct their project yet.

'The Government has announced that the power to extend the time limits for existing full planning permissions will apply to all eligible consents and not just those for major development.

That clarification has come in a letter from Steve Quartermain, Communities and Local Government chief planner, to chief planning officers in England.The letter confirms that the new arrangements will come into force on 1 October and will cover both listed building and conservation area consents.The changes will cover planning permissions which are extant both on 1 October and at the date of application and have not yet commenced.Outline permissions can also be extended under this power, CLG has decided, provided they are extant both on 1 October and at the date of application, and have not yet commenced.

The department will publish updated guidance in early October.It has also revealed that it is proposing different charges than consulted on earlier this year. CLG's revised proposals are: £500 for major developments, £50 for householder developments and £170 for other sizes of development. Parliamentary approval is needed for the new charges.Draft application forms are available for view on the Planning Portal and final versions will be available for use on 1 October.' www.planningportal.gov.uk