|Arts and Craft Wimbledon|
The town centre down the hill from the village developed following the construction of the railway and the suburban growth of the two areas joined around the end of the 1800's. The mixture of design influences over the centuries can be seen around the town with beautiful Georgian and Victorian houses and some lovely Arts and Craft houses to the east of the village. With the open spaces and facilities it is a desirable place for families to live.
Contemporary architecture sits alongside the period buildings with some impressive additions to the area including the Garden Hall to St Mary's Church designed by architect Terry Pawson (shown below). Other new houses and commercial buildings have altered the fabric of the town. The shopping centre, constructed in the '70s, was part of a major redevelopment of the town and although it provides a lively centre to the town the loss of the old town hall is still missed as a gathering place for public events.
|Contemporary buildings in Wimbledon|